New Adobe White Paper on Creating Accessible PDF Files from InDesign
David Blatner July 3, 2009
A few years ago, Steve Werner wrote a post discussing the basics of Accessible PDF files (that is, PDF files that can be read by a screen reader, or some other device used by people with visual disabilities). Now, Adobe has released a white paper that details many of the features (and challenges) of exporting accessible PDFs from InDesign. You can find the PDF directly here, or find it listed on this Web page.
I don’t think Adobe would mind if I let it slip that I had somewhat of an, um, involvement in this document. It was a fascinating challenge, both to learn the issues involved and to realize the significant limitations that still exist. As you’ll see, it’s no slam-dunk, and there are still many tasks that need to be performed in Acrobat after the PDF is created. This PDF file is, in itself, tagged for accessibility, of course.
If you’re looking for more information on accesibility and how to relates to InDesign, check out our InDesignSecrets Accessibility page.
There is no doubt in my mind that much must be done to make the accessibility features in InDesign more capable/reliable. Some of it is non-intuitive, and some features are (to be blunt) just simply broken at this time. If creating accessible (Section 508) documents is important to you, please let Adobe know they need to make this a high priority in future versions.
Latest posts by David Blatner (see all)
- Locking an InDesign Book File - September 12, 2016
- Setting Table Subhead Rows to a Cell Style with a Free Script - September 7, 2016
- Put Bullets Before and After a Heading in InDesign - August 31, 2016
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- Latest news:
- All about InDesign's new GPU feature
- Interview with Brian Wood, InDesign Guru
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Zoom Setting
- The QUIZZLER returns!
- arjun said about How to become an Adobe Certified Expert (ACE):Adobe photoshop CC ACE Exam material plz tell…
- Fahad Khan said about Convert All Text to Outlines When Exporting an EPS File from InDesign:Assalam o Alycum to All of you, IF…
- David Blatner said about Tip of the Week: Searching for Glyphs:Sam: You probably need to update your version…
Recent Forum Posts
Space Before and After
1 hour, 24 minutes ago
Broken links in Indesign with El Capitan's Photos app
3 days, 17 hours ago
GREP number change
3 days, 20 hours ago
Anchored frames not breaking across pages
3 days, 21 hours ago