New Adobe White Paper on Creating Accessible PDF Files from InDesign
David Blatner July 3, 2009
A few years ago, Steve Werner wrote a post discussing the basics of Accessible PDF files (that is, PDF files that can be read by a screen reader, or some other device used by people with visual disabilities). Now, Adobe has released a white paper that details many of the features (and challenges) of exporting accessible PDFs from InDesign. You can find the PDF directly here, or find it listed on this Web page.
I don’t think Adobe would mind if I let it slip that I had somewhat of an, um, involvement in this document. It was a fascinating challenge, both to learn the issues involved and to realize the significant limitations that still exist. As you’ll see, it’s no slam-dunk, and there are still many tasks that need to be performed in Acrobat after the PDF is created. This PDF file is, in itself, tagged for accessibility, of course.
If you’re looking for more information on accesibility and how to relates to InDesign, check out our InDesignSecrets Accessibility page.
There is no doubt in my mind that much must be done to make the accessibility features in InDesign more capable/reliable. Some of it is non-intuitive, and some features are (to be blunt) just simply broken at this time. If creating accessible (Section 508) documents is important to you, please let Adobe know they need to make this a high priority in future versions.
Latest posts by David Blatner (see all)
- This Month in Articles, September 2016 - September 29, 2016
- Locking an InDesign Book File - September 12, 2016
- Setting Table Subhead Rows to a Cell Style with a Free Script - September 7, 2016
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- Latest news:
- We each describe 3 of our favorite free InDesign scripts
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Satin
- The QUIZZLER answer and winner! She had a 1 out of 1 chance of winning ;-)
- Aaron said about All Lynda.com Videos Are Free During the Week of Learning:Wow, that's fantastic news! I've learned a lot…
- yepi 9 said about Document Overhead in InDesign’s PDF Can be Huuuuuuge:Hey there I am so happy I found…
- Brian said about Make InDesign Add Pages Automatically As You Type:That is great to know. Thank you Sir.
Recent Forum Posts
Sections do not appear to be dynamic
7 hours, 34 minutes ago
Table of Contents Causes InDesign to Stop Responding
13 hours, 54 minutes ago
Script to modify all objects with the same Object Style
10 hours, 59 minutes ago
How to avoid coloring bullet when I color the first word in the beginning of….
10 hours, 45 minutes ago
13 hours, 56 minutes ago