New Adobe White Paper on Creating Accessible PDF Files from InDesign
David Blatner July 3, 2009
A few years ago, Steve Werner wrote a post discussing the basics of Accessible PDF files (that is, PDF files that can be read by a screen reader, or some other device used by people with visual disabilities). Now, Adobe has released a white paper that details many of the features (and challenges) of exporting accessible PDFs from InDesign. You can find the PDF directly here, or find it listed on this Web page.
I don't think Adobe would mind if I let it slip that I had somewhat of an, um, involvement in this document. It was a fascinating challenge, both to learn the issues involved and to realize the significant limitations that still exist. As you'll see, it's no slam-dunk, and there are still many tasks that need to be performed in Acrobat after the PDF is created. This PDF file is, in itself, tagged for accessibility, of course.
If you're looking for more information on accesibility and how to relates to InDesign, check out our InDesignSecrets Accessibility page.
There is no doubt in my mind that much must be done to make the accessibility features in InDesign more capable/reliable. Some of it is non-intuitive, and some features are (to be blunt) just simply broken at this time. If creating accessible (Section 508) documents is important to you, please let Adobe know they need to make this a high priority in future versions.
Latest posts by David Blatner (see all)
- This Month in InDesign Articles, Number 141 - January 29, 2016
- Tip of the Week: Duplicate Objects Precisely Using the Control Panel - January 5, 2016
- Line Styles in InDesign - January 4, 2016
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- Latest news:
- Our 2016 InDesign Resolution: Pay Attention to the Little Things!
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Select and Fit Item
- product said about Recosoft Ships PDF2ID Conversion Tool:marriage counselor kingston ny weather
- Sarah said about Import Word Files into InDesign, Remove Local Formatting but Keep Italics and Bold:I have been subscribed to InDesign Secrets for…
- Ben Vanderberg said about Add a “Print Only” Watermark to PDFs:Bob, this is a great solution. Thanks for…