New Adobe White Paper on Creating Accessible PDF Files from InDesign
by: David Blatner | July 3, 2009
A few years ago, Steve Werner wrote a post discussing the basics of Accessible PDF files (that is, PDF files that can be read by a screen reader, or some other device used by people with visual disabilities). Now, Adobe has released a white paper that details many of the features (and challenges) of exporting accessible PDFs from InDesign. You can find the PDF directly here, or find it listed on this Web page.
I don’t think Adobe would mind if I let it slip that I had somewhat of an, um, involvement in this document. It was a fascinating challenge, both to learn the issues involved and to realize the significant limitations that still exist. As you’ll see, it’s no slam-dunk, and there are still many tasks that need to be performed in Acrobat after the PDF is created. This PDF file is, in itself, tagged for accessibility, of course.
If you’re looking for more information on accesibility and how to relates to InDesign, check out our InDesignSecrets Accessibility page.
There is no doubt in my mind that much must be done to make the accessibility features in InDesign more capable/reliable. Some of it is non-intuitive, and some features are (to be blunt) just simply broken at this time. If creating accessible (Section 508) documents is important to you, please let Adobe know they need to make this a high priority in future versions.
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- Answers to attendee questions from our InDesign Masters webinar, including:
- Typekit ins and outs
- Shared destination hyperlinks
- Previewing fonts tip
- Sharing custom workspaces
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Clear All
- Kathleen Casey said about Yes Virginia, There is a Translate Feature:I work for a translation copy that has…
- personal payday loans said about Character Underlines, Paragraph Rules… and the State Flag of Texas:They are the Community Financial Services Association of…
- Check My Site said about Repeat After Me Supercharges Your Production with Single Step Action:This is my first time visit at here…
Recent Forum Posts
How to fix broken words at the end of the lines with “Justify the Last Line with
11 minutes ago
Select empty table cells using find/change, GREP, or a script?
14 hours, 22 minutes ago
Font shown even after all fonts were converted to outlines
12 minutes ago
Package command does a save
21 hours, 37 minutes ago
how to synchronize document footnote options in book?
23 hours, 14 minutes ago