New Adobe White Paper on Creating Accessible PDF Files from InDesign
David Blatner July 3, 2009
A few years ago, Steve Werner wrote a post discussing the basics of Accessible PDF files (that is, PDF files that can be read by a screen reader, or some other device used by people with visual disabilities). Now, Adobe has released a white paper that details many of the features (and challenges) of exporting accessible PDFs from InDesign. You can find the PDF directly here, or find it listed on this Web page.
I don’t think Adobe would mind if I let it slip that I had somewhat of an, um, involvement in this document. It was a fascinating challenge, both to learn the issues involved and to realize the significant limitations that still exist. As you’ll see, it’s no slam-dunk, and there are still many tasks that need to be performed in Acrobat after the PDF is created. This PDF file is, in itself, tagged for accessibility, of course.
If you’re looking for more information on accesibility and how to relates to InDesign, check out our InDesignSecrets Accessibility page.
There is no doubt in my mind that much must be done to make the accessibility features in InDesign more capable/reliable. Some of it is non-intuitive, and some features are (to be blunt) just simply broken at this time. If creating accessible (Section 508) documents is important to you, please let Adobe know they need to make this a high priority in future versions.
Latest posts by David Blatner (see all)
- Insert a Character by Unicode or GID - January 5, 2017
- InDesign is Disappearing (except for the menu bar) - January 3, 2017
- This Month in InDesign Articles, December 2016 - December 30, 2016
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- News and Updates:
- Interview with Mohammed Javed Ali, InDesign product manager
- Our top 10 OIFOTW's (Obscure InDesign Features) from episodes 3 to 237
- And this episode's Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Alpha Channel
- David Blatner said about Why You Should Import RGB Images Into InDesign and Convert to CMYK On Export:Janette: You can use soft proofing to preview…
- Janette said about Why You Should Import RGB Images Into InDesign and Convert to CMYK On Export:Hi there. Sorry so late. I convert RGB…
- Marj said about Free Script to Add an Antique Edge to Photos:I can't get the plain text to become…
Recent Forum Posts
Working with large files
1 hour, 10 minutes ago
CC upgraded — resizing a text frame won't show the copy while expanding?
1 hour, 49 minutes ago
Flattening and PDF's help?
5 hours, 7 minutes ago
Problems with new Document
6 hours, 57 minutes ago