New Adobe White Paper on Creating Accessible PDF Files from InDesign
by: David Blatner | July 3, 2009
A few years ago, Steve Werner wrote a post discussing the basics of Accessible PDF files (that is, PDF files that can be read by a screen reader, or some other device used by people with visual disabilities). Now, Adobe has released a white paper that details many of the features (and challenges) of exporting accessible PDFs from InDesign. You can find the PDF directly here, or find it listed on this Web page.
I don't think Adobe would mind if I let it slip that I had somewhat of an, um, involvement in this document. It was a fascinating challenge, both to learn the issues involved and to realize the significant limitations that still exist. As you'll see, it's no slam-dunk, and there are still many tasks that need to be performed in Acrobat after the PDF is created. This PDF file is, in itself, tagged for accessibility, of course.
If you're looking for more information on accesibility and how to relates to InDesign, check out our InDesignSecrets Accessibility page.
There is no doubt in my mind that much must be done to make the accessibility features in InDesign more capable/reliable. Some of it is non-intuitive, and some features are (to be blunt) just simply broken at this time. If creating accessible (Section 508) documents is important to you, please let Adobe know they need to make this a high priority in future versions.
Latest posts by David Blatner (see all)
- This Week in InDesign Articles, Number 130 - February 23, 2015
- Making InDesign Work Like Illustrator: Multiple Artboards on One Large Pasteboard - February 4, 2015
- Creating a PDF from InDesign’s Print Booklet Feature - January 29, 2015
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- New features in InDesign v10.2, aka "February 2015 release of InDesign CC 2014"
- Hey there's more than a couple! Listen up
- Our opinion on why some are useful, others not so (but may become so)
- Interview with Russell Viers
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Show Processing Instructions
- pilcrow said about Getting the Right Bleed in Print PDFs:Usually 2mm of bleed is enough for sizes…
- Raymon said about Finding the Best Tablet PDF Reader:Thanks for another informative blog. Where else could…
- saints row 2 cheats said about Hidden Add Swatch Capability:This is the right webpage for anyone who…
Recent Forum Posts
Book printing (BIG) problem
40 minutes ago
9 hours, 13 minutes ago
Use GREP to find first line indented paragraphs with a different value
11 hours, 7 minutes ago
Different Footnote Numbering Styles in One Page
12 hours, 20 minutes ago
Text Fields in interactive forms
17 hours, 17 minutes ago