Automatically Crop Out the Edges of Your Image
David Blatner December 5, 2016
If you have to crop the edges of one or two images, it’s easy to do it manually, right? Just change the size of the frame, or increase the size of the image inside the frame. But what if you need to crop dozens or hundreds of images — all exactly the same amount?
One common example of this is when you have photos that have a border around them, like this:
We need to enlarge the image to fit the frame, so that the white edge gets cut out. One way to do this is to choose Object > Fitting > Frame Fitting Options.
First set the Fitting pop-up menu to Fit Content Proportionally, then set the Align From icon to the center (so that it scales from the center point of the image). Finally, set the Crop Amount to the measurement you want to cut out. In this case, I happen to know that all my images have 1/8-inch too much space around them.
(Note that the measurement is based on the original image, not the size the image appears on your page.)
Of course, you wouldn’t want to use that menu item over and over again… instead, you want to save this as an object style:
Then you can apply it with a single click each time you need it!
Latest posts by David Blatner (see all)
- Insert a Character by Unicode or GID - January 5, 2017
- InDesign is Disappearing (except for the menu bar) - January 3, 2017
- This Month in InDesign Articles, December 2016 - December 30, 2016
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- News and Updates:
- Interview with Mohammed Javed Ali, InDesign product manager
- Our top 10 OIFOTW's (Obscure InDesign Features) from episodes 3 to 237
- And this episode's Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Alpha Channel
- Jenny Setchell said about Creating Cross References with Text Anchors:Many thanks David - I had not seen…
- David Blatner said about How to Avoid InDesign Smart Guides Problems:Emm: Try choosing View > Grids & Guides…
- David Blatner said about Creating Cross References with Text Anchors:Jenny, if it's a cross-reference, then it may…
Recent Forum Posts
Background task panel bug
1 hour, 33 minutes ago
InDesign CC2017 + MathMagic Pro 9.3 plugin for CC 2017 performance issues
1 hour, 8 minutes ago
ID CC 2017 keeps crashing with Acrobat Pro DC
5 hours, 36 minutes ago
Controlling Hypenation according to user
7 hours, 48 minutes ago
Intelligent image placing
6 hours, 49 minutes ago