Easier import of complex Excel spreadsheets
by: Keith Gilbert | April 20, 2010
Imagine you have a large Excel spreadsheet, and you need to import sections of the spreadsheet into InDesign as separate tables. Rather than saving multiple copies of the spreadsheet, each containing the specific fragment you need, or laboriously copy and pasting into InDesign, there's a better way.
When you choose File > Place and click the "Show Import Options" button, the dialog below appears. Normally, you'd have to use a "Cell Range" such as B6:F18 to designate which of the cells in the larger spreadsheet you want to import. But finding and remembering those coordinates can drive you batty.
A better way is to use a "named range". In Excel, just select the cells that you want to place into InDesign, and then choose Insert > Name > Define (Mac Excel 2008) or right-click and choose Name a Range (Windows Excel 2007). Then type a name for the range and click the OK button. You can have as many different named ranges as you want in a single spreadsheet.
Then, in InDesign, choose File > Place and click Show Import Options. In the "Cell Range" drop down list you will see each of your named ranges, ready to place in your layout.
One caveat: InDesign can place spreadsheets saved in either the new .xlsx format, or the older .xls format. But named ranges will only appear in InDesign if you save the file in the older .xls format.
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- New features in InDesign v10.2, aka "February 2015 release of InDesign CC 2014"
- Hey there's more than a couple! Listen up
- Our opinion on why some are useful, others not so (but may become so)
- Interview with Russell Viers
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Show Processing Instructions
- screen privacy said about How to install scripts in InDesign:you are actually a good webmaster. The website…
- Caitlyn said about Free Add-a-Page Script:Tɦеsе also assist you healing in yopur wwounds…
- Angus said about Why You Should Import RGB Images Into InDesign and Convert to CMYK On Export:Thats very thought provoking, thanks
Recent Forum Posts
Guides – margins or page
3 hours, 24 minutes ago
What applications can i print a print-ready pdf from?
1 hour, 8 minutes ago
Script To Create All Hyperlinks at Once??
9 hours, 27 minutes ago
Columns or Frames
1 hour, 52 minutes ago
Use DIV to control page break, or H1 tag?
1 day, 6 hours ago