Easier import of complex Excel spreadsheets
by: Keith Gilbert | April 20, 2010
Imagine you have a large Excel spreadsheet, and you need to import sections of the spreadsheet into InDesign as separate tables. Rather than saving multiple copies of the spreadsheet, each containing the specific fragment you need, or laboriously copy and pasting into InDesign, there’s a better way.
When you choose File > Place and click the “Show Import Options” button, the dialog below appears. Normally, you’d have to use a “Cell Range” such as B6:F18 to designate which of the cells in the larger spreadsheet you want to import. But finding and remembering those coordinates can drive you batty.
A better way is to use a “named range”. In Excel, just select the cells that you want to place into InDesign, and then choose Insert > Name > Define (Mac Excel 2008) or right-click and choose Name a Range (Windows Excel 2007). Then type a name for the range and click the OK button. You can have as many different named ranges as you want in a single spreadsheet.
Then, in InDesign, choose File > Place and click Show Import Options. In the “Cell Range” drop down list you will see each of your named ranges, ready to place in your layout.
One caveat: InDesign can place spreadsheets saved in either the new .xlsx format, or the older .xls format. But named ranges will only appear in InDesign if you save the file in the older .xls format.
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- News from the land of InDesign
- Spring-loaded shortcuts
- When they save time and not
- Other obscure "dynamic" shortcuts
- Interview with Chad Chelius, new Editor-in-Chief of InCopySecrets.com
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Indic Preferences Script
- PayPal capital loans said about Finding the Best Tablet PDF Reader:Hello just wanted to give you a quick…
- online dating sites said about How to Strip a Document of Styles:If some one wants expert view regarding blogging…
- free photoshop said about Adding Zoom and Print to InDesign SWF Files:We are a group of volunteers and opening…
Recent Forum Posts
Adding currency symbol as a style
19 hours, 31 minutes ago
Inconsistent text wrap space around images
3 days, 17 hours ago
ID CC style for italic stripping out Roman on imported text
2 days, 21 hours ago
3 days, 14 hours ago
CS6 InDesign to HTML (Font Size)
3 days, 19 hours ago