Easier import of complex Excel spreadsheets
Keith Gilbert April 20, 2010
Imagine you have a large Excel spreadsheet, and you need to import sections of the spreadsheet into InDesign as separate tables. Rather than saving multiple copies of the spreadsheet, each containing the specific fragment you need, or laboriously copy and pasting into InDesign, there's a better way.
When you choose File > Place and click the "Show Import Options" button, the dialog below appears. Normally, you'd have to use a "Cell Range" such as B6:F18 to designate which of the cells in the larger spreadsheet you want to import. But finding and remembering those coordinates can drive you batty.
A better way is to use a "named range". In Excel, just select the cells that you want to place into InDesign, and then choose Insert > Name > Define (Mac Excel 2008) or right-click and choose Name a Range (Windows Excel 2007). Then type a name for the range and click the OK button. You can have as many different named ranges as you want in a single spreadsheet.
Then, in InDesign, choose File > Place and click Show Import Options. In the "Cell Range" drop down list you will see each of your named ranges, ready to place in your layout.
One caveat: InDesign can place spreadsheets saved in either the new .xlsx format, or the older .xls format. But named ranges will only appear in InDesign if you save the file in the older .xls format.
Latest posts by Keith Gilbert (see all)
- Free InDesign Script to Export JPEGs at a Precise Size - May 2, 2016
- How to Use InDesign to Create Content for AEM Mobile - March 10, 2016
- Good-bye Adobe DPS, Hello AEM Mobile - March 5, 2016
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- Latest news:
- Inside Mike Rankin's head (interview with our Editor-in-Chief!)
- All About Alternative Glyphs
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Hide Column
- Hugh Macaulay said about InDesign Basics: Where Is the Color Picker?:In the answer to the question, there are…
- app search optimization said about My CMYK Images Change When I Print or Export PDF!:A aso keywords SO service improve your apps…
- Joyce Hyde said about InDesign’s Publish Online Can Now Be Embedded in Web Sites:Just embedded 3 publications to my website, previewing…
Recent Forum Posts
Strange AI behaviour
17 minutes ago
Masterpage strange issue
2 hours, 56 minutes ago
12 hours, 27 minutes ago
Suppress transparency on placed InDesign file in InDesign?
6 hours, 4 minutes ago
Specific or Custom Colour Bars?
2 days, 17 hours ago