Here are a few resources for people who want to learn more about using GREP (regular expressions) in InDesign:
Books, Videos, and Documentation
- David’s “InDesign: 10 Things to Know About GREP” at lynda.com
- Peter Kahrel has written a “short cuts” book for O’Reilly on the subject. You can find it here.
- Michael Murphy’s in-depth movies about GREP in InDesign at lynda.com
- One of the best books on GREP is Mastering Regular Expressions, by Jeffrey Friedl.
- Adobe’s Live Docs page on GREP (including cool examples and a table of codes).
Software and Websites
- RegExr: Online and AIR based regular expression tester
- The Lightning Brain (rorohiko) GrepGrokker (with tips!)
Some InDesignSecrets posts about GREP
- Favorite GREP Expressions You Can Use
- Adventures in GREPland
- Five Cool Things You Can do with GREP Styles
- Find Between (a useful grep string)
- Removing spaces at the end of a story
- Making a character lowercase
- Video tutorial on GREP (pre CS3)
- GREP solution to flawed Title Case feature
- Cheat Sheet for GREP codes
- Adding a special character with a grep style