This Month in Articles, September 2016
I’ve just spent two days with my kids at Minecon, the annual conference for Minecraft players and I can tell you: These people really need to spend more time learning InDesign. I mean, hardly anyone there knew how to use Quick Apply, much less could figure out paragraphs styles or master pages! Well, fortunately, here at InDesignSecrets we’re ready to help anyone (even Minecraft users) learn InDesign better.
So here’s a round-up of all kinds of topics that InDesign users will find fascinating:
- Monica Murphy wrote up a good explanation of how InDesign’s Publish Online feature provides you with analytics!
- If you love looking at innovative magazines, you should take a gander through these fun designs.
- I grew up in the culture of the 1960s and 1970s, so it’s amazing to revisit the old days by perusing old copies of Avant Garde magazine, now posted on the Web.
- Ever wanted to embed a Youtube video into your InDesign document? James Lockman points out you can do it with a simple copy and paste (His demo uses the old DPS, but you could just as well view this in a Publish Online file.)
- Are you into type and fonts? You gotta’ wander through the Letterform Archive. I can’t wait to visit their space in San Francisco sometime!
- Was your company using DPS, but now you’re trying to find a different solution? Ajar Productions has a little guide for converting from DPS to their in5 HTML5 plug-in. And Twixl
- The arguments about books vs ebooks aren’t entirely new… people have been arguing about “book technology” for millennia!
- So many designers wish that InDesign could help them design HTML emails… if you fall into that category, you need: What’s the Difference Between an HTML5 Email and a Unicorn?
- I don’t know anyone who can resist the call of free fonts, especially not when it’s from the reputable fontshop.
- Our favorite page-layout app is used even in storyboarding. Check out this article about award-winning animator Chris Dooley, who says he “starts every project in InDesign.”
- I loved the multiple master font technology of the mid-90s, and now it’s back with a web twist!
- Erica Gamet is back with this video about something InDesign users need to think about more: setting preferences!
- OK, we missed this one (I had never heard of it before, and it just popped up on my radar): National Read an eBook Day
- If you’ve not seen this 30-minute movie showing how The New York Times used to set pages with metal type… wow. (The “new” electronic typesetting is almost as amazing as the old to me.)
- I loved seeing this cool font for transliterating Arabic into English, created using InDesign and IndyFont!
- I haven’t used QuarkXPress in a while, but if you need to move InDesign files to QuarkXPress, you should know about Badia’s IDML Import filter
- I just learned about FontYou—font management and activation and sales via the cloud. Fascinating! I will have to try this.
- Hey, check out these blog posts from Adobe Community Professionals on the new ACP Pipeline!