This Week in InDesign Articles, Number 21
Okay, look, I admit it: I want an iPad. Yes, I know I can't use it to replace my laptop. That's fine! It's 150,000% better than the Kindle or other ebook readers except in battery time and weight. I know it doesn't run Flash. Here's some good readin' about that:
- An iPad overview from Wired. I love it when the guys says he doesn't really want the design to look good because it's about the words. Oy. No, it's about communicating the words, buddy. Design is about communication. A good screen and good design helps you read.
- This article on the Future Shock nature of the iPad hit home for me.
- Of course, the number one complaint with the iPad (and iPhone) appears to be: No Flash support! Here's some articles about that:
- Wired prototype was laid out in InDesign, but is AIR based so it won't run on iPad
- On the other hand, in another year or two, we might not care as much about Flash if HTML5 comes together. That's a big If, though. Here's a good article explaining what's cool about HTML5.
- John Gruber really makes a good point in this article about Blue Boxes when he notes that Adobe's attachment to Flash may cause themselves more pain than the users.
There is, of course, always more out there to learn about! Here are other things you should be aware of:
- CodeLine released a new version of SneakPeek Pro, which lets you see InDesign and Illustrator documents in the Mac Finder using quick-look (just select a file and press spacebar).
- Has it really been 20 years since Photoshop came out? Wow. I remember meeting John and Tom Knoll when I was the program "chair" at the first Photoshop conference (back in the Thunder Lizard days). This article really brings back memories.
- The Bezier pen... oh, how I love to hate it. I keep hoping Adobe will put a B-spline pen into InDesign (b-spline tools tend to be easier to draw with for "the rest of us"), but in the meantime, here's a wonderful link to Sharon Steuer's Zen of the Pen article.
- Do you use Font Explorer Pro? I do, so I was pleased to see that there's a new version out.
- Even more new versions: Managing Editor sent me a note saying that vjoon's K4 version 6 is out! W00t!
- Oh my goodness... one more! Stone Sans has been updated by Monotype to Stone Sans II! You can read about it here. I love this typeface and used it for a bazillion projects in the 90s. Looks like it's time to pull it out again for the 'teens!
Okay, so that's not as much about InDesign as I had hoped... slow week. But there's plenty of good InDesign stuff here in the blogs and, of course, in the InDesignSecrets forums!