This Week in InDesign Articles, Number 88
I know I've been away for a while, but the great InDesign articles and videos just keep coming! Of course, the big news is that Creative Cloud and CS6 are around the corner. Lots of cool stuff there. But there are many other items of interest, even if you're still using CS5, or CS4... or CS3... or even CS2!
CS6 and the Creative Cloud
- If you publish in any of the Indic languages (Hindi, etc.) you'll be very pleased that InDesign CS6 will support those languages better than ever!
- Here's Cari Jansen's excellent take on why the Creative Cloud is great. And here's Scott Kelby's.
- What is new in CS6? Vikrant at Adobe wrote up a list of all the new features here.
- And Terry White did a good video that shows off many of the new CS6 features, such as alternate layout, liquid layout, and grayscale preview.
- I always enjoy learning more about typography, so this article about "rivers" by Jim Felici was terrific!
- Need to copy a page from one InDesign document to another? Here's a good article about various options you have.
- If you haven't been keeping up with Mike Rankin's special effects techniques videos at lynda.com, here's one for you on perspective drawing!
- Jeff Witchel also makes fun videos, such as this one from a couple years back on a "sewn up" look.
- Like fonts? Check out Thomas Phinney's new kickstarter project to create a new pair of fonts called Cristoforo.
- You can use the glphys panel to find all kinds of alternate characters, which helps you create really fun typographic effects
- Here's another glyphy article: Kelly Vaughn wrote up a good piece on finding greek and mathematical symbols using the glyph panel
What Other Companies are Doing
- I haven't been following vook much, but this press release about their new ebook creation tool caught my eye. InDesign has reasonably good epub creation tools, but I still wish they were better!
- Zeen is a new startup by the folks who started YouTube to make digital magazines.