2-sided postcard, imposed 3-up with Data Merge

Learn / Forums / General InDesign Topics / 2-sided postcard, imposed 3-up with Data Merge

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Leah Hanlin
      Participant

What is the way to accomplish setting up a simple 2-sided postcard with Data Merge, but have it imposed 3-up to a sheet? I would do part of it by hand, but my mailing has 12,000 records, so this is out of the question. Not sure if this matters, but one of the variable fields is a QR code (which I know Data Merge can handle.) I’m guessing that I’m going to have to find a plug-in, but I don’t have a HUGE budget. I don’t know where to start—something to handle the data, or the imposition—or both at the same time? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

David Blatner
      Keymaster

Do you want the same postcard 3 times on a sheet? Or do you have data record 1, 2, and 3 on the first sheet, and so on. If the latter, then that’s what Data Merge does already.

Steve discussed this a little bit in his series on Data Merge… here’s part 3: https://creativepro.com/data-merging-part-3.php

I cover it in detail in my title on data merge at lynda.com.

Leah, are you printing the 12,000 postcards? If not, I hope you’ve coordinated with your print shop. In our shop, we never want the customer to do imposition!

(We use HP SmartStream Designer plug-in for InDesign)

Eugene Tyson

I data merge the files and leave them as single pages.

Using Imposition Studio (very cheap software) you can do the imposition of 3 fronts and a common back, or you can do 3 fronts and 3 backs if it’s datamerged front and back.

Whatever the way – imposition studio can do it for you.

However, if you’re not the printer then supply the document as 1 up at the finished size and your print shop will handle any imposition, at least they should!

If you want more direction on this let me know.

I do massive datamerges about twice a month.

Leah Hanlin
      Participant

David, Colleen, and Eugene: Thank you VERY much for your responses! Yes, I’m designing AND doing the pre-press for our in-house print shop running a iGen4. (I wear multiple hats: in-house designer for a global industrial manufacturer, as well as overseeing a contracted small in-house print team!) The job is a 2-sided postcard with a different front & back with variable data on both sides. So I would like my first press sheet to have records 1–3 (front side of postcard) and second press sheet to have records 1–3 (back/mailing side of postcard.) Sounds like I need to sign up for Lynda.com! I feel like I’m the last person to try it, but I have a hard time carving out training time to do the training—even when it’s free. Eugene: I’ll check out Imposition Studio. THANKS again!

Eugene Tyson

Imposition Studio pays for itself. It’s awesome in my opinion. Although, I do use Quite Imposing too.

Get in touch for VDP and I can help. I’m an open book.

Ben Rogers

I found the idea really that great after I tried it myself, although I asked some company to work for it. Credit to this one https://www.digitekprinting.com/postcards, that made this one possible.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>
Notice: We use cookies on our websites to give you a great online experience. If you keep browsing, we'll assume you're ok with this. For more information, see our privacy policy. By closing this banner, you agree to the use of cookies.I AGREENo