Thanks for coming to, the world's #1 resource for all things InDesign!

What’s The Break Keyboard Character?

Terre Dunivant wrote:
What is that icon/shortcut next to Type > Insert Break Characters >Column Break? (also Frame Break, Page Break...)

Great question, Terre. These symbols on the Macintosh aren't always obvious. However, InDesign for Windows spells it out clearly: That's the NumEnter key (Enter on the numeric keypad). So, for example, to type a Page Break character, type Ctrl-NumEnter.

David Blatner
David Blatner is the author or co-author of 15 books, including Real World InDesign and InDesign for QuarkXPress Users, and presents many InDesign titles at He is the editorial director of InDesign Magazine. Over a half a million copies of his books are in print in 13 languages. He has spoken at conferences and workshops around North America, Europe, Australia, Japan, and South Africa. You can find more about David at
Related Articles

4 Comments on “What’s The Break Keyboard Character?

  1. Jim, the only way I know to turn the numeric keypad on or off is with the Num Lock key, which most computer keyboards offer.

  2. Is it possible to perform a find/replace for column/frame breaks in CS2. This has been added to CS3, however I need it in CS2..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>