Tip of the Week: Adding Alt Text to Images With Object Export Options
Mike Rankin March 28, 2017
This InDesign tip on adding alt text to images with object export options was sent to Tip of the Week email subscribers on March 23, 2017.
Sign up now and every week you’ll get a new tip, keyboard shortcut, and roundups of new articles, plus exclusive deals sent right to your Inbox!
Just scroll down to the bottom of this page, enter your email address, and click Go! We’ll take care of the rest. Now, on with the tip!
In InDesign’s user interface there are panels (which can stay open while you work), and dialog boxes (which have to be closed before you can move on), and then there are some things that are neither panel nor dialog box, like Find/Change. You can keep it open, but you can’t dock it with other panels, and it doesn’t respond when you change your workspace. Another item in this in-between category is Object Export Options, which you can open from the Object menu.
Object Export Options are important when you’re exporting to EPUB, tagged PDF, or HTML. These options allow you to control the appearance of items, their tagging, and in the case of images, alt text. Adding alt text to images improves accessibility and the SEO value of your content, making it easier for folks to find on the web.
And while I’d rather be able to work with alt text in the Links panel, having it in a window that can remain open as you work (but sadly, not resize) is a decent alternative since it allows you to check and edit the alt text of many images quickly. Just by selecting each image one by one in the layout. Then select the source of the alt text from the image’s metadata, or choose Custom and type or paste in the text you want to use as alt text for the image.
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- News and Updates:
- Using Acrobat's deeply buried Object Inspector on your InDesign PDFs!
- The Next Big Thing for interactive PDFs? We hear things ...
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Flip Pages (it's not what you think)
- Ariel W said about Review: InDesign CC 2017.1:My hunch is that many features (footnotes, etc.)…
- Ariel W said about Review: InDesign CC 2017.1:This argument about print being dead. It just…
- http://www.route66whitemountaingeotour.com/ said about Unzip and Zip EPUB files safely with these AppleScripts:Hi there, simply become aware of your blog…
Recent Forum Posts
Help exporting ePUB! "Error formatting image!
6 hours, 23 minutes ago
LinkOptimizer (Zevrix) alternatives for Windows
6 hours, 3 minutes ago
InDesign to Kindle (follow-up from ID Magazine article)
1 day, 3 hours ago
1 day, 23 hours ago
How to set Full justify with last line aligned left in Paragraph Styles
1 day, 11 hours ago