Automatically Crop Out the Edges of Your Image
David Blatner December 5, 2016
If you have to crop the edges of one or two images, it’s easy to do it manually, right? Just change the size of the frame, or increase the size of the image inside the frame. But what if you need to crop dozens or hundreds of images — all exactly the same amount?
One common example of this is when you have photos that have a border around them, like this:
We need to enlarge the image to fit the frame, so that the white edge gets cut out. One way to do this is to choose Object > Fitting > Frame Fitting Options.
First set the Fitting pop-up menu to Fit Content Proportionally, then set the Align From icon to the center (so that it scales from the center point of the image). Finally, set the Crop Amount to the measurement you want to cut out. In this case, I happen to know that all my images have 1/8-inch too much space around them.
(Note that the measurement is based on the original image, not the size the image appears on your page.)
Of course, you wouldn’t want to use that menu item over and over again… instead, you want to save this as an object style:
Then you can apply it with a single click each time you need it!
Latest posts by David Blatner (see all)
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- News and Updates:
- We examine the stunning achievement that is InDesign 2017.1
- Interview with Theresa Jackson, Adobe guru trainer and designer
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Recently Published
- Ufish said about Managing All Your Files and Assets for InDesign Layout:Try ufish to organize and search Indesign files.…
- Katrin said about Free lynda.com Videos: Navigating Through Pages with Bookmarks:If you have extra shampoo bottles cluttering in…
- Egyed Serf said about What’s Next for PDF:You are absolutely right! Sadly, there is no…
Recent Forum Posts
Shortcut/Style for adding specific space between lines
14 hours, 57 minutes ago
Trapping white text out of black solid
19 hours, 28 minutes ago
Text Box Fill Won’t Print in PDF
3 days, 16 hours ago
TOC for merged data
4 days, 11 hours ago
4 days, 15 hours ago