Easier import of complex Excel spreadsheets
Keith Gilbert April 20, 2010
Imagine you have a large Excel spreadsheet, and you need to import sections of the spreadsheet into InDesign as separate tables. Rather than saving multiple copies of the spreadsheet, each containing the specific fragment you need, or laboriously copy and pasting into InDesign, there’s a better way.
When you choose File > Place and click the “Show Import Options” button, the dialog below appears. Normally, you’d have to use a “Cell Range” such as B6:F18 to designate which of the cells in the larger spreadsheet you want to import. But finding and remembering those coordinates can drive you batty.
A better way is to use a “named range”. In Excel, just select the cells that you want to place into InDesign, and then choose Insert > Name > Define (Mac Excel 2008) or right-click and choose Name a Range (Windows Excel 2007). Then type a name for the range and click the OK button. You can have as many different named ranges as you want in a single spreadsheet.
Then, in InDesign, choose File > Place and click Show Import Options. In the “Cell Range” drop down list you will see each of your named ranges, ready to place in your layout.
One caveat: InDesign can place spreadsheets saved in either the new .xlsx format, or the older .xls format. But named ranges will only appear in InDesign if you save the file in the older .xls format.
Latest posts by Keith Gilbert (see all)
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- News and Updates:
- We examine the stunning achievement that is InDesign 2017.1
- Interview with Theresa Jackson, Adobe guru trainer and designer
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Recently Published
- Colin said about Text Wrap Preferences:Thanks that is the setting I wanted
- seforim said about Typesetting Hebrew and Other Languages in English InDesign:thanks for ifo...
- anneleen said about The Curious Case of Occasional Overset:Does anyone have an answer for this question…
Recent Forum Posts
Auto script generator
3 hours, 54 minutes ago
Script to duplicate text frame and move
6 hours, 6 minutes ago
Shortcut/Style for adding specific space between lines
1 day, 2 hours ago
Trapping white text out of black solid
1 day, 7 hours ago
Text Box Fill Won’t Print in PDF
4 days, 4 hours ago