Extracting Assets From iBooks Author Files
Michela Di Stefano October 16, 2017
Here’s a quick tip to remember in case you ever need to access assets from an iBooks Author project to place into InDesign (or another program).
Like EPUBs, iBooks Author files (.IBA files), are really compressed ZIP archives, that you can open like a folder. You only need to uncompress them first to get at the contents. To do this, first change the extension from .iba to .zip.
Then double-click on the ZIP file in the Finder to uncompress it.
Inside the resulting folder will be all the images, sound files, and videos used in the iBook. Just remember to duplicate the .iba file first, if you might need it for any reason.
Bonus tip: Look inside the uncompressed ZIP folder and you will find a folder named “QuickLook”.
Inside it is a PDF named “Preview.pdf”, which is a PDF version of several pages of the eBook.
Michela Di Stefano
Latest posts by Michela Di Stefano (see all)
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- InDesign Conference 2018, June 4–7 in New Orleans: it's happening!
- Get a Virtual Pass to the InDesign Conference (and others!) to see videos and handouts
- New LinkedIn Learning/Lynda.com courses: New Features in InDesign CC 2018.1 (Anne-Marie) and InDesign: Interactive PDFs (David)
- InDesign Magazine: April 2018 issue about Interactive Portfolios, May 2018 issue about Digital Asset Management systems, and the June 2018 issue will be about making InDesign and Illustrator play nicely together.
- David Blatner said about Why Placed Color Images Can Appear Inconsistent:Michael: It may just be that it's an…
- Michael Cohen said about Why Placed Color Images Can Appear Inconsistent:same issue!!! PLS help. Nice blue sky image…
- mdt1960 said about What’s My Resolution?:Quark has always had the effective resolution information…
Recent Forum Posts
Strange text frames behaviour from library
3 days, 9 hours ago
Convert text to footnotes with " * " reference marker
3 days, 17 hours ago
How do i set indents by points?
3 days, 17 hours ago
Resize multiple anchor object at once in
4 days, 14 hours ago