Extracting Assets From iBooks Author Files
Michela Di Stefano October 16, 2017
Here’s a quick tip to remember in case you ever need to access assets from an iBooks Author project to place into InDesign (or another program).
Like EPUBs, iBooks Author files (.IBA files), are really compressed ZIP archives, that you can open like a folder. You only need to uncompress them first to get at the contents. To do this, first change the extension from .iba to .zip.
Then double-click on the ZIP file in the Finder to uncompress it.
Inside the resulting folder will be all the images, sound files, and videos used in the iBook. Just remember to duplicate the .iba file first, if you might need it for any reason.
Bonus tip: Look inside the uncompressed ZIP folder and you will find a folder named “QuickLook”.
Inside it is a PDF named “Preview.pdf”, which is a PDF version of several pages of the eBook.
Michela Di Stefano
Latest posts by Michela Di Stefano (see all)
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- Top InDesign Feature Requests: Adobe is listening!
- I See Blue Things: What are those weird squiggles and borders?
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Reveal Deleted Items
- Matthew said about Tip of the Week: Using the Ink Manager:Can someone please explain this anomaly?
- Sev said about Removing Space Along the Left Edge of Text:This checkbox needs to be a default paragraph…
- Dayo said about Why Am I Seeing Yellow Highlighting on My Text?:please remove the yellow lettering and the black…
Recent Forum Posts
updating graphics in the library
1 hour, 57 minutes ago
Links EPS to PDF
10 hours, 46 minutes ago
Side Frame Handles on Narrow Text Boxes
10 hours, 44 minutes ago
Inconsistent Image Display After Converting Reflowable to Mobi
19 minutes ago
1 day, 11 hours ago