Extracting Assets From iBooks Author Files
Michela Di Stefano October 16, 2017
Here’s a quick tip to remember in case you ever need to access assets from an iBooks Author project to place into InDesign (or another program).
Like EPUBs, iBooks Author files (.IBA files), are really compressed ZIP archives, that you can open like a folder. You only need to uncompress them first to get at the contents. To do this, first change the extension from .iba to .zip.
Then double-click on the ZIP file in the Finder to uncompress it.
Inside the resulting folder will be all the images, sound files, and videos used in the iBook. Just remember to duplicate the .iba file first, if you might need it for any reason.
Bonus tip: Look inside the uncompressed ZIP folder and you will find a folder named “QuickLook”.
Inside it is a PDF named “Preview.pdf”, which is a PDF version of several pages of the eBook.
Michela Di Stefano
Latest posts by Michela Di Stefano (see all)
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- Table Strokes, why are they such a pain, and secret tips
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Reset Hyperlink
- Lindsey Martin said about Why Did My Curly Typography Quotes Turn Off?:Both on Mac. I don't have a recent…
- Lindsey Martin said about Why Did My Curly Typography Quotes Turn Off?:If you want to change or eliminate the…
- Lindsey Martin said about Why Did My Curly Typography Quotes Turn Off?:InDesign CC [aka 'application menu'] > Preferences >…
Recent Forum Posts
Can I Undo InDesign's Automatic Superscript for trademarks?
1 hour, 14 minutes ago
Place multiple seaprate PDFs
21 hours, 10 minutes ago
Book Within a Book
2 days ago
X squares beside text in epub fixed layout
4 days, 20 hours ago
Indesign vs. Illustrator
3 days, 1 hour ago