Making Split Columns honor Keep Options
Keith Gilbert June 21, 2011
If you have InDesign CS5, and you have the text frame below…
…you can use the new “Split Columns” feature to make the body text split into 2 columns, like so:
But unfortunately when you use the Split Columns feature, InDesign ignores any Keep Options that are applied to the text. In the example above, I have these keep options applied to the body text:
Note that the highlighted paragraph isn’t been kept together within a column as it should. Hopefully, this will be fixed in a future release. But in the meantime, here’s a workaround that will work in some situations.
For a situation like this, instead of using a single column frame that contains body text that is split into two columns, use a two column frame that has the headline set to “Span 2 Columns”.
Now the Keep Options are preserved for the body text.
Latest posts by Keith Gilbert (see all)
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- Top InDesign Feature Requests: Adobe is listening!
- I See Blue Things: What are those weird squiggles and borders?
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: Reveal Deleted Items
- Ron Anderson said about InDesign Poll Results: Which Version of InDesign are You Using?:Amen to that. I retired nine years ago.…
- Anne-Marie Concepcion said about What’s New in InDesign CC 2018.1 (March 2018 Release):Uwe, yes I noticed how it picks up…
- Anne-Marie Concepcion said about What’s New in InDesign CC 2018.1 (March 2018 Release):This is a new bug that only affects…