Warning: This is a time-sucker. I can’t be responsible for the loss of productivity that will ensue after you read this post!
I stumbled across an interesting “effect” today while trying to accomplish something else entirely.
1. Select the Polygon Frame Tool, and then click on your page.
2. Fill in the dialog box as shown below:
3. Give the polygon a fill color of none and a stroke color (I used red).
4. Assign a 1 pt stroke weight to the polygon.
5. Change the Stroke Type to Wavy.
6. Now experiment with the weight of the stroke. Also, experiment with changing the stroke alignment from Center to Outside in the Stroke panel. Have fun!