This Month in InDesign Articles, December 2016
Some eagle-eyed readers will be quick to point out that we missed my monthly round-up of articles in November. Well, that just means a giant bonus crop this month!
- Erica Gamet explains InDesign’s “Smart Text Reflow,” one of InDesign’s lesser-understood (but important!) features.
- You can easily replace one character with another using this new CC “context” feature
- Why would you want to use InDesign Server? Max Dunn explains it for you!
- This is a long, but educational video about making a poster in InDesign by Tidiane Diallo
- Hate that bright blue “style highlighter” feature? You can turn it off with a shortcut.
- OK, the holiday season is over, but that doesn’t mean you stop buying gifts (for others, or yourself!) Check out these great items that every designer will love.
- Your eyes aren’t deceiving you: InDesign’s user interface really has gotten “bigger” in the past year
- If you use Publish Online, don’t forget to check your document stats
- Here’s a cool free script that lets you copy and entire layer from one document to another
- Colin Flashman has recorded a great video on how and why to use the Separations Preview panel. Every InDesign user who is creating document for print needs to know how to do this!
- It’s always great to read about people’s experiences at The InDesign Conference, such as this article by Brett Kizner at MEI and
- I love this “image popping out of a frame” trick that Mike Rankin wrote up at CreativePro
- Speaking of CreativePro, I wrote a piece there about engraving and I encourage you to check it out! One of the authors of that book, Rose Gonella, also wrote a really fun book on design. Check out her funny interview here.
- And one more from CreativePro on how one company produces an 188-page catalog in 12 minutes using the services of Pagination.com.
- If you’re interested in the world of ebooks, it’s fascinating that the IDPF (the standards body for EPUB) is merging with the W3C. More on the controversy here.
- Holy mackerel, here’s a script that applies an object style to a group without affecting the objects inside the group. Yay!
- Here’s a one-page newsletter template you can get from Adobe
- Did you hear that Typekit is not just a subscription service anymore? Typekit Marketplace means they’re selling fonts, too. (But the subscription isn’t going anywhere.)
- Make sure you check out Diane Burns’ gallery of cool Publish Online projects that she curates… she’s added some new ones.
- I love looking at old, classic publishing tools (Letraset, Linotype, and so on)… if you’re like me, you’ll like this!