This Week in InDesign Articles, Number 84
Interested in getting the most out of InDesign, but don’t know how to supercharge your abilities? You’ve come to the right place! Here at InDesignSecrets we’re constantly on the lookout for the best of the best of the best, sir!
- You need a speech bubble for a comic strip, manga, or other fun effect? Don’t do it by hand, use this brilliant script by Marc Autret!
- Sandee Cohen has written up a great step-by-step on how to make a Table of Contents in InDesign.
- I love seeing how designers are taking print magazines and converting them to digital. (More on that in an upcoming InDesign Magazine article!) In the meantime, check out this example of what Money Magazine is doing on the iPad.
- We’ve been saying that InDesign is a great web design tool (for wireframing, not HTML!) for a while, but it carries even more weight when the Boston Globe says it!
- MOO.com has just signed up for a second year of sponsoring PEPCON. That’s awesome news. But even more awesome: check out this movie about the new Luxe business cards they’ve started offering. Talk about creative sweeeeet!
- Speaking of printing, Adobe has released their Creative Suite 5.5 Printing Guide. Good stuff!
- Need to tag your InDesign documents for Web accessibility? Check out this new WebToTag solution. I haven’t used it yet, but it looks fascinating, especially if you’re still using CS5.
- Terry White offers another excellent videocast on DPS, this time focusing on making scrolling content for slideshows, video, and more.
- Is the Creative Cloud going to be worth $50/month? Here’s one take on it. Pretty impressive!
- Great overview of Myths About OpenType (vs. TrueType and PostScript) fonts. I didn’t know some of these! Wow.
- If you haven’t seen Texttozor, you’re missing out on a whole lot of unicode weirdness! (Sorry, our site won’t support showing that text… drat!)
- If you’ve been in the publishing or graphics biz for more than two decades, you must visit this site: Museum of Forgotten Art Supplies.
- I’ve been fascinated by this idea of “web to InDesign” for a long time. The folks at the Bangor Daily News have released an update for their WordPress to InDesign Tagged Text workflow. Interesting stuff!
- This fellow is totally self-promoting left and right, but his article on creating interactive PDF files has some good stuff in it!
- I had no idea that Scribus now supports IDML. Fascinating!
- I love the stuff that Pam Pfiffner digs up in her Best of the Blogs articles; if you’re into design and type, you’ll want to read this one.
- When is it okay to embed fonts? Use shareware fonts? Check out this great font Licensing 101 book.
- I didn’t catch this Russell Viers video called 11 Things Every Newspaper Should Know About PDFs when it came out last year, but it’s worth a look!