This Week in InDesign Articles, Number 87
Here’s a quick installment of the coolest, hottest, most interesting news for InDesign users. And, hey, if you see something you think all InDesign users should know about, email me at david [at] indesignsecrets.com and let me know.
- Whether you’re a beginning, intermediate, or advanced user, the question keeps coming up: What’s the best way to learn more about Adobe InDesign? Colleen Wheeler, at lynda.com, has a great set of answers!
- Adobe has some good deals going on right now, including: If you buy the CS5.5 upgrade today, you’ll get the CS6 upgrade at no additional cost!
- A new InDesign User Group in New Dehli! Their kick-off meeting was March 31. Wish we could have been there. Here are some photos from it.
- Monotype bought Bitstream, along with all their stuff (“What the Font,” 89,000 fonts, and more)
- This eTextbook The History of Graphic Design looks gorgeous.
- Does paper have a future? Venkatesh Rao at Forbes has mixed thoughts on the matter.
- Getting into XML with InDesign? Cari Jansen shares some wonderful thoughts and reminders. Bookmark it!
- Renditions is the term used for creating different versions of the same folio for different resolution tablets. Now that the iPad 2 and the 2012 iPad are both in widespread use but have different screen sizes, many publishers are learning about renditions. Here’s a good explanation of potential workflows. If you don’t create a special version for the new (higher resolution) iPad, it can look pretty crummy.
- This list of yo mamma jokes (for designers) are quite crude, but I have to admit some are pretty funny.
- What if you have 10,000 fonts and lots of designers? Here’s how National Geographic deals with it.
- One of the most frustrating aspects of Adobe’s DPS system for creating iPad and Android apps is the question of “should I update now?” For those trying to keep track of the different versions, check out this site!
- Here’s some more helpful info about DPS, from documentation-dude Bob Bringhurst, discussing the difference between JPG/PNG pages and PDF pages in folios.
- Okay, one more DPS link: Zeke Koch shares his vision for a business case for tablet publishing. Excellent!
- If you’re making EPUBs, you should definitely check out EPUBsecrets.com! For example, here’s an article on making indexes in epubs.
- Corning made a wonderful follow-up to their Day Made of Glass video. I love this stuff.