2 column dual language book in indesign

Learn / Forums / General InDesign Topics / 2 column dual language book in indesign

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Hi All,

I need to make a dual language book with the folowing specifications:

– 2 languages are: English (Left to right) + Arabic (Right to left)
      – The text needs to inline

Just to add more details onto my specifications:
      – Each paragraph of each translation text must be inline.

Hi,

Do you mean: align vertically the first line of each para and of its translation para!

Best,
      Michel, for FRIdNGE
      [email protected]

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your answer and apologies for late reply. Unfortunately my internet connection provider has been faulty lately.

I need to align each paragraph of each translation horizontally. Let’s think about the idea of a table with 2 columns where each row is a paragraph.

I even thought about using a table as a base, but it would a time consuming work to past it into inDesign.

Hi,

Paid script! …
      If interested, you could contact me!

Best,
      Michel

I didn’t understand what do you mean.

I wrote such a script and several versions of it since several years!

It’s not for free! To see how it works:

That seems to be so simple! just 1 click and all the paras will be aligned!

Best,
      Michel

Hrm. Couldn’t you make two text threads, one just on the left master, and one on the right master, and then flow the text files in (language one on left side and language 2 on right). Then you could use lock to baseline grid for both of them to make them align across the spread.

?

AM

Gert Verrept

@AM: trust me, the FRIdNGE solution is amazing. We do the layout of legal docs in 2 languages in 2 “frames” and Michel helps us to speed up the process. As he said, just one click to align both languages (ex. 40 pages in 30 secs).

Thanks, Geri! I’m still not understanding why it’d be difficult to align text across columns or a spread using Lock to Baseline Grid.

What am I missing?

AM

Hi Anne-marie,

You’re totally right! Align text across columns using “Lock to Baseline Grid” is really simple to play!

… But align (Y-offset) the first line of each para of the first story on the first line of the corresponding para of the second story, especially when the leadings are totally different (as I show in the video) is … a little less simplistic!

However, could we consider just 1 click as something simple to play?

I’ll definitely say: “Yes!”

Best,
      Michel

Kashi Mirza
        Participant

Chris,

I am interested in this script; is it still compatible with ID2021? What is the process?

Thanks

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>
Notice: We use cookies on our websites to give you a great online experience. If you keep browsing, we'll assume you're ok with this. For more information, see our privacy policy. By closing this banner, you agree to the use of cookies.I AGREENo