4 Panel Roll Fold set-up

Learn / Forums / General InDesign Topics / 4 Panel Roll Fold set-up

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hi there,
      I am setting up an 8 page/4 panel roll-fold self-mailer brochure.
      I want the folded width to be 4″ and length will be 8.5″.
      I talked with my printer who told me to make the first folded-in panel narrower by 1/16″ and then the end panel 1/16″ shorter than the previous. No questions there.

I was following along with this technique https://creativepro.com/new-folding-tricks-in-cs5.php to make each panel its own page (and thus width) and allow them to shuffle and drag them side-by-side. That was working fine until I realized that if I want an element to go across panels of differing widths, then the design will be off because when the pages are different widths, there is a gap between them on the artboard.

Is there a way to make the pages butt up against one another?
      Or is my best bet to make one long page that is 8.5″ tall and 15.8125″ long and then draw my own guides and folds?
      That is how I set up brochures in the past but was excited to give this a go — and make my printer happy! (they don’t have a template for me to work off of) :)
      Hope this makes sense….
      Thanks!

Eugene Tyson

Use the Page tool on the Tool Panel, and drag them to be beside each other, they should snap.

Alternatively, set the pages back to Allow Document Pages to shuffle, this separates them all again, then turn it back on and arrange your pages again by drag and drop in the pages panel.

Oh geez, thank you Eugene!
      With a little tweaking, I was able to get them snapped right up against one another. A couple times I zoomed in and there was still a small hairline gap but dragging the panel to a different location on the tool panel and then bringing it back and snapping it in seemed to work (and really overlapping the pages as I waited for the snap alert).
      Thank you!

What if you are laying out the document one full spread? For instance I have a document 24w X 6h, set up to be a 6 panel roll-fold. It’s 4″ wide when folded. How do I set up each panel? I realize The first panel needs to be the smallest and each panel gets slightly bigger as it folds close but I can’t get the math right. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
      Nicole

Karen Nelson

I have the same question as Nicole. How do I determine panel widths for a roll-fold brochure? I believe paper thickness plays a role, but any guidance would be appreciated.

David Blatner
      Keymaster

I would suggest making the panels that are going to fold in about 4 to 6 points narrower. But I’m curious what Trisha would say over at https://www.foldfactory.com (she’s the expert on all things folding, and they have a bunch of templates over there)

Karen Nelson

Thank you, David. I’ll check with Trisha while I wait to hear back from the printer.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>
Notice: We use cookies on our websites to give you a great online experience. If you keep browsing, we'll assume you're ok with this. For more information, see our privacy policy. By closing this banner, you agree to the use of cookies.I AGREENo