Interactive Map Button Issues
March 12, 2014 at 8:01 am #67611
I am in the process of creating an interactive map. I have ‘hotspots’ on the map that bring up a text box with information when I click on them. I also have a button that is supposed to take me to a second page. I have a few questions about some issues I am having.
1. When I click on my hotspots to bring up the text box, it works great. However, I want them to disappear when I click elsewhere, or when I mouse off the text box. Is there a way to have a sequence of animations occur so that the boxes will disappear, but not on a timer?
2. Within the text boxes that come up, I have hyperlinks to URLs and links to open up an email. While the email link does work, the simple URLs do not. I went thru a tutorial from Lynda, and I can’t seem to figure out what could be the problem. Any thoughts?
3. The other button I have is supposed to take me to a second page. However, I cannot get it to ever do so…does anyone know if there is a trick to getting to a second page?
I am not sure how to attach a screenshot with the map, but if anyone lets me know how, I will do so.
March 14, 2014 at 6:06 am #67655
July 18, 2014 at 7:26 am #69562
Did you ever get this to work?
1. On button info, choose Event: On Roll Over, make a text box visible and then choose Event: On Roll Off, make a text box not visible. This toggles between showing and not showing.
2. You either have to choose text and make a hyperlink in Indesign under Interactive panel before making PDF, or add it after it is a PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro (under Content > Add or Edit Ineractive Object > Link and then draw a box around item, choose Open a Web Page and then add URL.
3.The button usually has to have an Action added in InDesign. Choose button and on Buttons/Forms panel, with Event: On Release or Tap, add an Action of Go to Next Page. Then when you make PDF, it will do so.
Hope this helps.
July 18, 2014 at 7:32 am #69563
January 13, 2017 at 3:29 pm #91247
Hello! I’m so glad someone asked this question, and I hope that someone out there can solve the problem I have now.
I have succeeded in making the speech bubbles hide on my map, but it only works correctly for ONE CLICK. Upon subsequent clicks, the speech bubble layers BEHIND the button that I’ve used as a trigger, thus hiding some of my dialog. Can someone help me figure out what is causing this?
January 13, 2017 at 3:36 pm #91248
You may need to hide the trigger button.
This article might help, too: http://indesignsecrets.com/creating-a-two-function-button-for-interactive-pdf-or-swf.php
January 18, 2017 at 3:59 pm #91412
David – Thank you! I made a two-function button out of each state and have serious layering issues. With 50-states each with their own pop-out, I just can’t figure out how to fix the overlapping. Do you know of anyone or a resource (freelance or otherwise) that we could hire/pay to take a look? Do you think there is a solution? Thanks!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.