Where Did My InDesign Menu Items Go?
David Blatner July 27, 2009
I don’t have ‘Corner Options’ as a menu choice, and am stymied by being unable to make rounded corners with CS4. Can anyone help?
and then Di wrote:
I don’t know how to access Glyphs in this new version of InDesign. In version 2 I was able to bring up a panel called Glyphs but i cannot find that anywhere!
Both of these stumped me for a moment — it was as though InDesign were dropping pieces of its user interface, seemingly at random! But fortunately, I came to my senses and realized the problem: You can hide and show menu items in CS3 and CS4, and someone had clearly turned some options off for these two women. But who would have done such a dastardly thing?
Adobe, of course! Adobe, in its infinite wisdom, turns off menu items in several of its built-in workspaces. For example, if you choose the Book workspace in CS4, the Interactive submenu disappears from the Object menu (as though no one doing long documents needs those features). If you choose “Getting Started” from the workspace pop-up menu, lots of menu items disappear (including Corner Options and Glyphs).
While I can sort of see why some people might want to limit the complexity and length of the menus, I generally eschew hiding menu items… just when I think I will never again need such-and-such feature, I suddenly realize I need it right now!
Fortunately, you can always view the hidden menu items in one of several ways:
- Choose Show All Menu Items from the bottom of a menu. Tthis only appears when an item from that menu is actually hidden. When you select it, the missing items suddenly appear, ready to be selected… but they’ll be missing the next time you pick from the menu.
- Hold down the Command/Ctrl key when selecting the menu. That forces all menu items to appear.
- Choose Show Full Menus from the Workspace pop-up menu (in the application bar in CS4, or in the Window > Workspaces menu). That turns off menu item hiding for this workspace until you reset it.
Latest posts by David Blatner (see all)
Sign up for the InDesign
Tip of the Week
- What's new and what to watch out for with InDesign CC 2019
- Obscure InDesign Feature of the Week: By Unicode (or by CID/GID)
- Jean-Renaud Boulay said about How to Make a Banksy Shredding Artwork in InDesign:Hi Mike I cannot hear the sound of…
- Worship said about Create Mazes in InDesign With a Script:There is no start or end
- Worship said about Create Mazes in InDesign With a Script:do do
Recent Forum Posts
Sharing pages across multiple Indesign documents built on the same master
1 day, 19 hours ago
ePub out of 2019cc to iBooks and Amazon
1 day, 18 hours ago
2 days, 19 hours ago
2 lines text automatic to 1 line
2 days ago
Missing the PAragraph Styles Pop up menu
3 days, 22 hours ago